The BYSA Academy Program
Academy soccer promotes fair play, sportsmanship and skill development. Our philosophy is to train each athlete to meet his/her best potential with focus on self-improvement.
Academy is for players and families who aspire to play “beyond recreational." This is not select soccer, but rather a program where athletes will be challenged in a positive learning environment. However, it does require a greater time commitment and it is crucial that players attend practice regularly and make arrangements to be at all games. The 50% play rule is strictly enforced, and players will learn the fundamentals of the game:
- Fall 2014 Dates: Season begins on or about August 17 and runs through the first week of November.
- Mandatory parent meeting…TBA.
- Cost-$300- includes uniform, spare jersey and professional training.
- Ages: U9...must be 7 yrs of age on or before July 31, 2014 to be eligible, U10..must be 9 yrs on or before July 31 as well. (Players can play up one year.)
Registration for the Academy fall 2014 season opens June 1st.
Bulverde Rangers Select Tryout Results
Anyone who missed tryouts and who wants to try out for any remaining openings can contact Cheryl Sczech.
U11 and U12 Boys Tryout Results
Thank you parents and kids for making the BYSA U11 and U12 select tryouts a success. We would like to welcome the following players to BYSA Boys Select Teams:
U11 - 402, 404, 406, 410, 412, 413, 416, 417
U12 - 302, 304, 305, 307, 310, 311, 314, 315, 316, 317
Meet The BYSA Rangers Training Staff
Frankie Whitlock: DOC (Director of Coaching) for BYSA, 01 Girls Bulverde Rangers
- Currently Girls Head Coach Reagan HS, Asst. Athletic Coordinator
- USFF A,B,C,D license
- NSCAA National Diploma
- STYSA Olympic development experience
- Coaching staff for ODP experience
- Has taken 6 teams to UIL State Final 430 year’s experience
- 19 Regional final appearances in 29 years
Kate McCollum: Academy Director Bulverde
- Region 4 assistant coach of the year 2009,2013
- currently assistant coach Reagan HS
- 13 undefeated seasons at Reagan
- Has taken 3 teams to state UIL Final 4 tournament
- 9 Regional Final appearances for UIL at Reagan
Tony Castaneda: Bulverde 99 Boys, U11 Boys, Academy Coach
- USFF A,B,C license,
- High school coach for 28 years
- College coach for 3 years
- Club coach for over 30 years
- Currently Antonian Boys
Megan Schaffer: Bulverde 99 Girls
- Currently TLU coach
- Played at Angelo State University
- Played at Reagan HS. All District defender, all region selection
- Coached at New Braunfels assisting the girls program
- Currently lives in New Braunfels. Has club coaching experience in San Antonio.
John Galan: 96 boys, U11 Boys
- Played at Reagan HS. State Champions in 2004
- All State midfielder 2004, All Region and All District
- Played at Univ. of Central Arkansas
- Currently lives in San Antonio
- Has club experience in major clubs in San Antonio
Tim Cardwell: 02 Girls
- USSF D license
- Youth Module U10/12, U8/10
- 17 years coaching experience
- Took '02 girls to State 2013
- Has coached with Bulverde several years
- Entering 3rd year as Assistant Coach at John Paul II High School